Sunday, March 14, 2010

Murphy's Law

The last few days of February and the first few days of March were very hectic for me, in fact every day leading up the the 2nd of March proved to be very busy. I was filled with mixed emotions of excitement, anxiety, and nervousness. Although the preparations had started long before with a trial approaching it just seems like you have so much to do.

Finally March 1st arrived and the trial was the next day. I went over my case and reviewed my notes. finished my closing statement and decided that a good nights sleep was better than more review, actually had it not been for every other attorney telling me to go home and go to bed I may have stayed up and gone over things a few more times. But this was it, I knew that I had prepared, I knew I was ready and sleep would only make me more confident in the morning. i set my alarms and went to sleep.

Surprisingly I slept soundly and enjoyed a good nights sleep. My alarms rang out early in the morning and I jumped out of bed without utilizing the snooze (a huge accomplishment for me). I readied myself, loaded my car and headed down the street in plenty of time to arrive at the court house at 7:00, the prearranged time to meet with the other deputy Prosecutor assisting me.

I was trucking down the interstate and had just crested the overpass at Exit 99 when all of a sudden my car started to sputter. I was in the fast lane (three lanes each direction) and initially thought no big deal, then it happened again. I quickly put on my hazard lights and began moving to the slower lanes. I had no sooner gotten to the slow lane and the engine cut out entirely. With my flashers already on I proceeded to the emergency lane and came to a complete stop, just past the onramp, then stared at the instrument panel in disbelief.




I mean really, this is the stuff of dreams like giving your opening statements to a jury only to realize you are naked.

However this was real, I was sitting on the side of the freeway with all the necessary material for trial in my back seat. I knew I could not call my wife as she was responsible for getting my son as well as four other children to school. My mother could not come and get me as she was responsible for watching my two daughters and a girl my wife babysits on Tuesdays. The other attorney that was sitting in the trial with me lives further north than I so I called him hoping that he would not have passed by yet. I reached him and although he had already come by what other choice did he have than to turn around and come back for me. So he did just that.

I then called my mom to come wait with the car until AAA could come and tow it to the mechanic. She obviously would not be able to come immediately as per the reason stated above. But I knew she would get there and therefore after worrying for a few moments I let it go.

The other attorney arrived and we loaded all the trial material as well as myself and my belongings into his car. Now although this sounds easy enough it was a feat in and of itself, to be explained at a latter date.

We arrived a the court house and prepared for the days events. Although one would think this would have created even more butterflies I was actually pretty calm and in fact it may have helped keep my mind off of the trial thus actually relaxing me a bit. For those of you that are well aquatinted with me, Strange I know.


1 comment:

Jamie G. said...

Oh no, now I have guilt!